“You don’t have to brush your teeth – just the ones you want to keep.” This humorous statement highlights the value of developing good dental habits, and the need to take preventative steps to maintain sound oral health. Consider seven tips that you and your family should be following in order to keep your smiles at their peak performance:
1. BFF Method — No it’s not an acronym for best friends forever. It stands for brush and floss faithfully. Brush teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, and clean between teeth daily.
2. Watch your mouth — Take time to regularly inspect your tongue, gums, cheeks, and throat for any noticeable changes, including puffy, red gums, or sores that don’t heal properly.
3. Stick out your tongue at bad breath — If left unchecked, food debris and bacteria remaining on the tongue can lead to foul breath and other issues. Use your toothbrush to clean your tongue and keep bad breath in check.
4. Say NO to tobacco — Tobacco use can increase the likelihood of developing periodontal disease, foul smelling breath, stained teeth, loss of taste, and a variety of cancers. Kick the tobacco habit today.
5. Use only as directed — Use teeth for chewing food only, not as a tool for opening packages, crunching on ice, or chewing on pens and pencils.
6. Eat healthy — Eat a well-balanced diet and limit between-meal snacking, especially on foods high in sugar content.
7. Go to the dentist — Regular visits permit early diagnosis of issues such as tooth decay, infections, and oral cancer. In fact, we offer Oral DNA testing to accurately determine the possible levels of periodontal disease and oral HPV happening in your mouth. This allows our Minneapolis area dentists to decide which treatment will benefit you the most. Oral DNA testing is safe, effective, and will only take a minute of your time.
We strive to provide modern preventative treatments to fight against periodontal disease and other oral health diseases. Having supreme oral health directly correlates with a healthy lifestyle for you and your family. Contact Point family Dentistry & Orthodontics to see how we can make your dental experience comfortable, affordable, and enjoyable.
Do you have any secrets for keeping your smile in tip-top shape? Share them with us in the comments!